Skip to main content

Soju I Remember

 

Soju I Remember

 

I can hold my liquor pretty well.

If I had to choose my favorite alcoholic drink, it would probably be soju.

But I didn’t start drinking with soju. When I first learned to drink, I started with Cheongha, which had a lower alcohol content than soju.

Back then, soju was much stronger than it is now. For many years, 25% ABV was almost the standard for soju in Korea. So for someone who was just learning to drink, soju could feel pretty strong.

Of course, I eventually moved on to soju.

And I wasn’t the only one. Many of my friends went through a similar process back then.

But when I think about soju now, the first thing that comes to mind isn’t actually when I started drinking.

It’s a memory of my father.

When I was a child, we lived in the countryside, and my father always drank Geumbokju.

So naturally, I thought, “Geumbokju must be my dad’s favorite drink.”

Everyone around us drank Geumbokju.

Then we moved to another part of Korea.

Suddenly, my father stopped drinking Geumbokju and started drinking Gyeongwol instead.

I remember wondering,

“Why isn’t Dad drinking Geumbokju anymore? Didn’t he like it the most?”

But everyone there drank Gyeongwol, too.

Then we moved to Seoul.

And my father started drinking Jinro.

Of course, everyone around us drank Jinro, too.

It wasn’t until I grew older that I understood why.

My father hadn’t changed his favorite soju every time we moved.

The soju that was familiar to the people around him simply changed from place to place.

In the Korea I grew up in, regional soju culture was much stronger than it is today. Different parts of the country had their own familiar soju brands. Geumbokju was closely associated with the Daegu and Gyeongsang area, Gyeongwol with Gangwon, and Jinro was especially familiar in Seoul.

There was also a system that once required liquor distributors to purchase a certain percentage of their soju from producers in their own region. The Constitutional Court ruled that system unconstitutional in 1996, and the soju market gradually moved toward nationwide competition.

Looking back now, I understand my father a little better.

He didn’t keep changing his favorite soju.

The soju around him simply changed.

And my father just liked soju.

I had a similar experience myself.

After I got married, I lived in Gangwon Province for a while. At that time, the soju I usually drank was San. It was a very familiar local soju there.

That’s why I think soju is an interesting drink.

Soju is more than just a bottle of alcohol.

For many Koreans of my generation, soju is connected to where we lived, who we were with, and what our everyday lives were like at the time.

These days, the soju market has become much more nationwide. In Seoul, Chamisul and Cheoeum-Churum are the bottles I see most often.

When I travel abroad, I also find that Chamisul is usually the Korean soju I see most often.

So if you ever visit Korea, I have one little suggestion for you.

Don’t just drink the soju you already know.

If you travel to different parts of Korea, try the local soju, too.

You may notice that they taste slightly different. And even if you don’t notice much of a difference, I think it’s fun to drink the soju that people in that region are familiar with.

Personally, Hallasan was the soju that suited me best when I drank it in Jeju.

I really liked it.

Unfortunately, I don’t get many chances to drink Hallasan in Seoul.

But I think Hallasan is just meant to be enjoyed in Jeju.

An illustrated map of South Korea showing various regional Korean soju brands, including Jinro, Chamisul, Kumbokju, and Hallasan, categorized by province.
A look at the diverse regional soju brands across South Korea. In the past, where you lived often determined your favorite bottle.




There’s also a little ritual about soju that I love.

You open the bottle.

Pour the first glass.

Take the first sip.

And somehow, a Korean naturally goes,

“Kaaaah~~~!”

There’s something about that first sip.

That little kick.

For me, even that sound is part of soju.

Soju goes well with almost any kind of food.

But if I had to choose the perfect combination, it would be Samgyeopsal.

After eating a piece of fatty Samgyeopsal, you take a sip of soju, and somehow it feels like the soju washes everything down.

They just go so well together.

My mother wasn’t much of a drinker. But whenever she ate Samgyeopsal, she always had a glass of soju.

And she would always say,

“You have to drink some soju when you eat meat. It helps you digest it.”

So now, when I have meat with my children and drink a glass of soju, I find myself saying the exact same thing.

“You need a glass of soju to help you digest it.”

I guess the memory of my mother having a drink while eating Samgyeopsal with our family stayed with me more than I realized. Haha.

When I was in college, there was also a time when soju mixed with fruit or vegetables became popular among my friends.

We would pour soju into a large bottle and add cucumber or lemon. We simply called them cucumber soju or lemon soju.

A glass pitcher filled with cucumber soju and ice on a rustic wooden table inside a cozy, dimly lit Korean pojangmacha (tent bar).
A refreshing pitcher of cucumber soju at a classic Korean pojangmacha (tent bar). Brings back so many college memories!

These days, you don’t even have to make them yourself. There are already all kinds of flavored soju on the market.

A close-up view of a Korean convenience store refrigerator stocked with various brands and flavors of soju bottles, including Chamisul, Jinro, and Saero.
The colorful variety of modern soju. From the classics to new fruit flavors, the options are endless these days.

Soju has changed a lot over the years.

But for me, soju is still the drink that brings back the most ordinary memories.

My father’s Geumbokju.

The Gyeongwol he drank after we moved.

Jinro in Seoul.

My mother’s one glass.

The San I drank in Gangwon.

The Hallasan I drank in Jeju.

And, of course, that very Korean sound that naturally comes after the first sip.

“Kaaaah~~~.”

Maybe that’s why soju is still my favorite drink.

If you ever visit Korea, give soju a try.

What kind of memory will you take home with you?

Soju and Samgyeopsal — they just belong together, don't they?
I'll share my memories of Samgyeopsal with you in my next post.

K-Food Story
Stories behind Korean food by Somang

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bibimbap I Grew Up With

  Bibimbap Was Never a Special Dish to Me When I think of Bibimbap , I don't picture a beautifully arranged bowl filled with colorful vegetables. The first thing that comes to my mind is a big stainless steel mixing bowl. When I was a child, we didn't have a dining table. Like most Korean families back then, we sat on the floor around a small round table for every meal. Now that I'm used to eating at a table, sitting cross-legged for long feels uncomfortable. But in those days, it was simply how everyone ate. Whenever Doenjang-jjigae was served for dinner, my father would quietly bring out the big mixing bowl. Looking back, it almost felt like an unspoken family tradition. He would scoop in some rice, add a little Doenjang-jjigae, toss in whatever was already on the table—usually Yeolmu-kimchi or shredded radish. And the ending was always the same. Gochujang. Sesame oil. That is the Bibimbap I remember. When people think of Bibimbap today, they ...

The Hidden Story Behind Bibimbap : Could Today's Bibimbap Have Begun on the Jesa Table?

  Could Today's Bibimbap Have Begun on the Jesa Table? When people think of Bibimbap today, they usually picture a beautiful bowl filled with colorful vegetables, beef, and a perfectly placed egg. But whenever I see that image, one thought always comes to my mind. Could the Bibimbap we know today have begun on the Jesa table? Of course, this is only my personal thought. Let me tell you why I feel that way.   My father was the second son in his family, but our family still held Jesa, which was somewhat unusual. Traditionally in Korea, Jesa is usually hosted by the eldest son. Jesa is a traditional ceremony in which families prepare food, gather together, and pay their respects to their ancestors. Today, many families keep it much more simply, and some no longer practice it at all. But when I was growing up, Jesa was one of the biggest family events of the year. Ironically, while it was a lot of hard work for the adults, it felt like a festival for...

Why Do Koreans Crave Jeon When It Rains?

Why Do Koreans Crave Jeon When It Rains? Before I answer that question, there's something you should know. Jeon is my soul food. Whenever my family held a Jesa , many different kinds of Jeon would be prepared all at once. To me, those days felt like an all-you-can-eat Jeon buffet. The fun of choosing? Not really. I just ate all of them. Have you ever heard of Jeon ? Jeon is a Korean dish made by coating ingredients in batter and pan-frying them in oil. Potatoes become Jeon. Kimchi becomes Jeon. Cabbage becomes Jeon. Fish becomes Jeon. Meat becomes Jeon. Sometimes Jeon reminds me of pizza. Pizza can have hundreds of different variations depending on what you put on the dough. Jeon is the same. Change just one ingredient, and it becomes a completely new dish. That's why I think Jeon is one of the most versatile dishes in Korean cuisine. Oh, and there's one more detail. Jeon is often enjoyed with a simple dipping sauce made with ...