Why Do
Koreans Crave Jeon When It Rains?
Before I
answer that question, there's something you should know.
Jeon is my
soul food.
Whenever my
family held a Jesa, many different kinds of Jeon would be prepared all
at once.
To me, those
days felt like an all-you-can-eat Jeon buffet.
The fun of
choosing?
Not really.
I just ate all
of them.
Have you ever
heard of Jeon?
Jeon is a
Korean dish made by coating ingredients in batter and pan-frying them in oil.
Potatoes
become Jeon.
Kimchi becomes
Jeon.
Cabbage
becomes Jeon.
Fish becomes
Jeon.
Sometimes Jeon
reminds me of pizza.
Pizza can have hundreds of different variations depending on what you put on the dough.
Jeon is the
same.
Change
just one ingredient, and it becomes a completely new dish.
That's why I
think Jeon is one of the most versatile dishes in Korean cuisine.
Oh, and there's one more detail.
Jeon is often enjoyed with a simple dipping sauce made with soy sauce.
Some people add sesame oil, toasted sesame seeds, chili powder, or chopped green onions, depending on their taste.
It adds another layer of flavor to the Jeon.
When I was
growing up, my mother made the batter from scratch.
She simply
mixed flour with salt.
In some
regions, people even used buckwheat flour instead of wheat flour.
These days,
though, most people use ready-made Korean pancake mix.
It's already
perfectly seasoned, so anyone can make delicious Jeon at home.
Each brand
tastes slightly different, so people often have their own favorite.
Sometimes I
joke that it's almost a magical powder.
So, what is my
favorite Jeon?
Baechu-jeon.
(Cabbage
Jeon.)
I spent my childhood in the countryside of the Gyeongsang region, where Baechu-jeon was always served at our Jesa table.
It's
incredibly simple.
Fresh cabbage
leaves are lightly coated in batter and gently pan-fried until golden.
Honestly, it's
hard to make anything taste bad when it's fried in oil.
To me, it was
one of the most ordinary foods in the world.
Then I moved
to Seoul.
One day I
mentioned Baechu-jeon to my friends.
Their
reactions surprised me.
"You
make Jeon with cabbage?"
"Is
that actually good?"
Some of them
couldn't even believe such a dish existed.
So I invited a
few friends over and made it for them myself.
Almost
everyone reacted the same way.
"Wow...
it's much better than I expected!"
Watching their
surprise made me happy.
That was when
I realized something.
A food I had always thought was completely ordinary was actually a regional specialty.
| Ingredients & Steps for Baechu-jeon |
There are so
many kinds of Jeon in Korea.
Kimchi-jeon.
Buchu-jeon.
Pajeon.
Haemul-pajeon.
Minari-jeon.
Gochu-jeon.
Dongtae-jeon...
The list could
probably go on forever.
I think the
kinds of Jeon people make often depend on what ingredients are easy to find
where they live.
But one type
is loved almost everywhere.
Kimchi-jeon.
After all,
almost every Korean home has Kimchi in the refrigerator.
If you already
have Kimchi at home, why not try making Kimchi-jeon?
I don't think
you'll regret it.
![]() |
| Home-style Korean Pancake Assortment: Zucchini, mixed vegetable, and potato pancakes. |
![]() |
| Haemul Pajeon (Seafood & Green Onion Pancake): |
So, when do
Koreans crave Jeon the most?
On rainy
days.
The moment we
hear the rain outside, many of us suddenly think,
"Jeon
and a glass of Makgeolli would be perfect today."
Why does that
happen?
Honestly,
nobody knows for sure.
But if you ask
almost any Korean, they'll probably smile and nod.
I have my own
theory.
The sizzling
sound of Jeon cooking in oil somehow reminds me of the sound of rain.
Add the rich
aroma of the oil, and suddenly I can't stop thinking about Jeon.
Whenever it
starts raining, I somehow find myself mixing batter without even planning to.
And something
even funnier often happens.
When my
husband comes home from work, there's usually a bottle of Makgeolli in his
hand.
I never asked
him to buy it.
It just
happens.
A rainy
evening.
Freshly made
Jeon.
A glass of
Makgeolli.
Sometimes
that's all it takes to make me feel completely happy.
If you ever
have a Korean friend, try asking them this on a rainy day.
"Jeon
sounds good today, doesn't it?"
Don't be
surprised if they look at you and ask,
"Wait...
are you Korean?"
For many
Koreans, Jeon and rainy days simply belong together.
Talking
about Jeon always reminds me of one more companion.
Makgeolli.
Why do so many
Koreans crave Makgeolli whenever they eat Jeon?
I'll share
that story in my next post.
K-Food
Story
Stories
behind Korean food
by
Somang


Comments
Post a Comment