Skip to main content

Kimchi-jjigae (Kimchi stew), the Food My Children Remember Me By

 

Kimchi-jjigae (Kimchi stew), the Food My Children Remember Me By


For Koreans, asking us to choose between Doenjang-jjigae and Kimchi-jjigae (Kimchi stew) is like asking,

“Do you love your mom or your dad?”

or

“Jjajangmyeon (Noodles in Black Bean Sauce) or Jjamppong (Spicy Seafood Noodle Soup)?”

It’s a really difficult question.

But if I absolutely had to choose, I’d say Kimchi-jjigae, maybe 60 to 40.

I guess it’s simply because I prefer food with a little more heat.

Whenever I come back from a trip abroad, the very first thing I look for is Kimchi-jjigae.

I must be craving that refreshing, spicy taste of Kimchi-jjigae.

Kimchi-jjigae can taste quite different from one home to another, depending on the Kimchi each family uses.

But in my opinion, while Kimchi itself really shows the personality of each household, those differences seem to become less noticeable once it turns into Kimchi-jjigae.

I think what you add to it, and how you cook it, makes a bigger difference.

The most common choice is, of course, pork. Canned tuna Kimchi-jjigae is also very popular.

Some people like pork with plenty of fat, while others, like me, prefer a leaner cut such as pork hind leg.

My husband is always disappointed about this.

“It tastes so much better when there’s some pork fat in it.”

He’s probably right. Pork fat does make it richer and more flavorful.

But when you start thinking about health, it becomes a bit of a dilemma. Haha.

 

Diced lean Dwaejigogi (pork) cooking in a stainless steel pot for Kimchi-jjigae (Kimchi stew).
Cooking lean pork in a pot to make a light and healthy base for Kimchi-jjigae.


The Food My Children Associate with Me

One day, I asked my son,

“What food comes to mind when you think of Mom?”

I thought he might have to think about it for a while.

But without hesitating for even a second, he said,

“Kimchi-jjigae.”

I honestly didn’t expect that answer.

I thought he might say something a little more… impressive. Something more special.

So I was quite surprised.

Then I asked my daughter the same question.

And strangely enough, she gave me exactly the same answer.

“Kimchi-jjigae.”

“How did you two come up with the exact same answer?”

We laughed about it for quite a while.

Ever since I found that out, whenever I make Kimchi-jjigae, I feel a little emotional.

I don’t know exactly how to describe it.

Somehow, Kimchi-jjigae became a little more special to me.

Now that I know it’s the food my children think of when they think of me, I also feel a little pressure to make it taste even better.

I just don’t want to disappoint them. Haha.


My Kimchi-jjigae Secret

Maybe my children think my Kimchi-jjigae tastes different from the kind they eat outside because I have my own little cooking trick.

I use equal parts Kimchi brine and water when I make it.

You might be thinking,

“That much Kimchi brine?”

But surprisingly, it doesn’t make the stew too salty. Instead, it gives the broth a really clean, refreshing taste.

That’s why I always keep a container of Kimchi brine in my Kimchi refrigerator.

I also think the amount of sweetness makes a big difference in Kimchi-jjigae.

I like it with just a little sweetness.

So whenever my husband and I go on a trip together, I always make a big pot of Kimchi-jjigae before we leave.

When we come back, the kids have usually eaten it all, and the pot is already washed and put away.

A square container filled with rich red Kimchi-gukmul (Kimchi brine) saved for cooking.
My secret cooking trick: keeping a container of rich Kimchi-gukmul (Kimchi brine) ready in the fridge.

 

A pot of rich Kimchi-jjigae (Kimchi stew) bubbling with sliced Dubu (tofu) and vegetables.
homemade Kimchi-jjigae


The Food I Think of When I Think of My Mom

It made me wonder:

What food comes to my mind when I think of my mom?

When I thought about it, the first thing that came to me was a kind of bread my mother made when I was very young, around six or seven years old.

She made it using Makgeolli (Korean Rice Wine) to ferment the dough.

Looking at it now, it was somewhat similar to the traditional Korean Sulppang (Steamed Rice Wine Cake) you can still find in stores today.

But it wasn’t exactly the same.

My mother stopped making that bread after we moved to the city.

Maybe that’s why those few pieces of bread I ate back then stayed in my memory as

the food only my mother could make.

Funny, isn’t it?

It wasn’t something I ate every day.

In fact, I only had it a few times.

And yet, that little memory is what makes me think of my mother.

So whenever I happen to come across Sulppang somewhere, I end up buying some and eating it, just to satisfy that little bit of longing.


What about you?

What food comes to mind when you think of your mom?

I wonder what foods people in different countries and different regions associate with their mothers.

I’d really love to know.

K-Food Story

Stories behind Korean food by Somang

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bibimbap I Grew Up With

  Bibimbap Was Never a Special Dish to Me When I think of Bibimbap , I don't picture a beautifully arranged bowl filled with colorful vegetables. The first thing that comes to my mind is a big stainless steel mixing bowl. When I was a child, we didn't have a dining table. Like most Korean families back then, we sat on the floor around a small round table for every meal. Now that I'm used to eating at a table, sitting cross-legged for long feels uncomfortable. But in those days, it was simply how everyone ate. Whenever Doenjang-jjigae was served for dinner, my father would quietly bring out the big mixing bowl. Looking back, it almost felt like an unspoken family tradition. He would scoop in some rice, add a little Doenjang-jjigae, toss in whatever was already on the table—usually Yeolmu-kimchi or shredded radish. And the ending was always the same. Gochujang. Sesame oil. That is the Bibimbap I remember. When people think of Bibimbap today, they ...

The Hidden Story Behind Bibimbap : Could Today's Bibimbap Have Begun on the Jesa Table?

  Could Today's Bibimbap Have Begun on the Jesa Table? When people think of Bibimbap today, they usually picture a beautiful bowl filled with colorful vegetables, beef, and a perfectly placed egg. But whenever I see that image, one thought always comes to my mind. Could the Bibimbap we know today have begun on the Jesa table? Of course, this is only my personal thought. Let me tell you why I feel that way.   My father was the second son in his family, but our family still held Jesa, which was somewhat unusual. Traditionally in Korea, Jesa is usually hosted by the eldest son. Jesa is a traditional ceremony in which families prepare food, gather together, and pay their respects to their ancestors. Today, many families keep it much more simply, and some no longer practice it at all. But when I was growing up, Jesa was one of the biggest family events of the year. Ironically, while it was a lot of hard work for the adults, it felt like a festival for...

Why Do Koreans Crave Jeon When It Rains?

Why Do Koreans Crave Jeon When It Rains? Before I answer that question, there's something you should know. Jeon is my soul food. Whenever my family held a Jesa , many different kinds of Jeon would be prepared all at once. To me, those days felt like an all-you-can-eat Jeon buffet. The fun of choosing? Not really. I just ate all of them. Have you ever heard of Jeon ? Jeon is a Korean dish made by coating ingredients in batter and pan-frying them in oil. Potatoes become Jeon. Kimchi becomes Jeon. Cabbage becomes Jeon. Fish becomes Jeon. Meat becomes Jeon. Sometimes Jeon reminds me of pizza. Pizza can have hundreds of different variations depending on what you put on the dough. Jeon is the same. Change just one ingredient, and it becomes a completely new dish. That's why I think Jeon is one of the most versatile dishes in Korean cuisine. Oh, and there's one more detail. Jeon is often enjoyed with a simple dipping sauce made with ...