Skip to main content

Mom Said, “We’re Having Samgyeopsal Today”: What Korean Pork Belly BBQ Really Means to Us

 

Mom Said, “We’re Having Samgyeopsal Today”: What Korean Pork Belly BBQ Really Means to Us


“We’re having Samgyeopsal today. Come home early.”

When a Korean mom says this to her family, it usually means something special is happening that day.

Maybe Dad just got his paycheck.

Maybe the child came first in the class.

Maybe Mom had something good happen to her.

Or maybe there is simply something the family wants to celebrate together.

In other words,

it’s a party.

My family was no different.

When I was growing up, Samgyeopsal was a special meal we had when the whole family could be together. And there was an unspoken rule:

If even one person was missing, it somehow didn’t feel right.

Back when I was a child, beef was also incredibly expensive. Buying good Korean beef to grill at home was almost unthinkable. If we ate beef, it was more likely to be cooked in Guk or Jjigae.

And honestly, Korean beef is still expensive today. Haha.

These days, perhaps

“Come home early. We’re having Korean beef tonight!”

has replaced the old

“We’re having Samgyeopsal today!”

But Samgyeopsal isn’t exactly cheap anymore, either. Koreans love it so much that it is relatively expensive compared with other cuts of pork.

I found out later that Samgyeopsal is especially loved — and therefore relatively expensive — in Korea, while in some other countries, pork belly is less popular and can be much cheaper.

When I think about it, Koreans have really turned a fatty cut of pork into something special.

There was also something I often heard from older people when I was growing up.

“After working hard, eat some Samgyeopsal. It’ll wash the dust right out of your throat."

People who did a lot of physical work were especially likely to say things like this. They worked in dusty environments and breathed in all that dust, so there was a common belief that eating Samgyeopsal would somehow help clean it out of your body.

Of course, we know now that this isn’t something that has been scientifically proven.

But while writing this, I suddenly had a thought.

Maybe ideas like this were also part of the reason Koreans came to love this fatty cut of pork so much.

That’s just my personal thought, though.

 

Grilling Meat on a River Stone: A Childhood Memory

 

When I was little and we lived in the countryside, there was another way we used to eat Samgyeopsal.

Whenever my mother bought some, our whole family would walk about ten minutes from our house to the river.

Can you picture it?

Why would we take Samgyeopsal all the way to the river?

Because my father would find a large, wide, flat stone.

We would wash the stone, build a fire, and heat it until it was scorching hot. Then we would put the Samgyeopsal directly on the stone and grill it.

The fat would sizzle and drip away, and somehow the meat tasted absolutely delicious.

It was just an ordinary childhood meal, but that scene has stayed incredibly vivid in my memory all these years.

After I got married, I asked my husband, who also grew up in the countryside,

“Did you ever eat Samgyeopsal that way when you were a child?”

He said he had.

Maybe it was a fairly common way for families in the countryside to enjoy meat back then. I don’t know how common it really was, but for me, that scene by the river is unforgettable.

 

A Korean family grilling Samgyeopsal on a hot flat stone by the river in the countryside
A vivid memory from my childhood: grilling Samgyeopsal on a hot river stone with my family. 

After we moved to Seoul, we naturally started grilling Samgyeopsal at home on a frying pan.

Whenever my family ate Samgyeopsal, I would put some rice on a lettuce leaf, add a piece of meat, and make a big Ssam.

But my mother would always tell me,

“Eat more meat. You can eat the rice later.”

We didn’t get to eat meat very often back then, so what she really meant was probably,

“Don’t fill yourself up with rice. Eat more meat.”

That was probably just a mother thinking about her children.

But funny enough, I still can’t eat meat without rice.

For me, a Ssam just tastes better when there’s rice inside.

 

Now I’m the mother preparing Samgyeopsal for my own family.

Once we decide,

“We’re having Samgyeopsal today,”

the shopping list is almost automatic.

Lettuce.

Perilla leaves.

Garlic.

Green chili peppers.

Those are the basics.

And then there is the most important thing.

Ssamjang.

 

The Art of Korean Ssam and Homemade Ssamjang

 

Most Korean families have their own homemade Ssamjang. I usually make a generous amount and keep it in the refrigerator, taking out just what we need whenever we eat it.

And just like Kimchi tastes different from one household to another, every family’s Ssamjang has its own flavor, too.

I think I’m actually pretty good at making Ssamjang myself. Haha.

Of course, you can also buy ready-made Ssamjang. If you live outside Korea, you don’t have to make it yourself. Store-bought Ssamjang works perfectly well, too.

And I usually make Doenjang-jjigae as well.

Samgyeopsal.

Doenjang-jjigae.

Kimchi.

Soju.

And a bowl of warm white rice.

That combination is hard to beat.

But if I had to choose the heart of Korean barbecue, I think it would be this:

Samgyeopsal + lettuce + Ssamjang.

Take a piece of meat.

Put it on a lettuce leaf.

Add some Ssamjang.

Add garlic or green chili.

Add anything else you like.

Then wrap it all up into one big bite.

That is a Korean Ssam.

And there’s something really fun about putting that whole big bite into your mouth at once.

 

Grilled Samgyeopsal (pork belly) cooked on a flat grill pan with Kimchi, garlic, and Kongnamul (soybean sprouts)
Sizzling Samgyeopsal (pork belly) served with grilled Kimchi, sliced garlic, and Kongnamul (soybean sprouts).

 

 

Homemade Korean Ssamjang (dipping sauce) served on a small white plate for Samgyeopsal (pork belly BBQ)
My homemade Ssamjang (Korean dipping sauce), the essential companion for Samgyeopsal (pork belly BBQ).

 

Why K-BBQ Always Ends with Fried Rice


One reason Samgyeopsal may not have been as popular in other countries in the past, I suppose, is all that fat.

When you grill Samgyeopsal at home, the oil can splatter everywhere.

That may be one reason people these days often prefer eating Samgyeopsal at restaurants rather than at home.

And Korean Samgyeopsal restaurants have another fun tradition.

After you finish the meat, they use the same grill to make fried rice.

At some point, eating fried rice after Samgyeopsal became almost like the final course of the meal.

So a Korean Samgyeopsal meal can go something like this:

Start with Samgyeopsal.

Have a big Ssam.

Enjoy a glass of soju.

And finish it all off with fried rice on the grill.

Korean Bokkeumbap (fried rice) with Kimchi and Gim (seaweed flakes) cooked on a grill pan after Samgyeopsal
Kimchi Bokkeumbap (fried rice) with Gim (seaweed flakes) on the grill—the ultimate final course of a Samgyeopsal meal.

I hear that Korean barbecue has become incredibly popular around the world these days.

Sometimes I wonder what people love so much about it.

Is it the experience of grilling the meat right in front of you?

Is it the Ssamjang you eat with the meat?

Or is it the fun of making one huge Ssam and putting the whole thing in your mouth at once?

I honestly don’t know.

But I do know what Samgyeopsal means to me.

When I was young, Samgyeopsal meant the whole family coming together.

It meant my mother bringing home the meat.

It meant my father heating a stone by the river.

It meant my mother telling me to eat more meat and save the rice for later.

And now, it means me preparing the same food for my own family.

Maybe that’s why Samgyeopsal feels like more than just food to me.

Whether I’ve had a wonderful day or a difficult one, there is something comforting about sitting down with a big Ssam and a glass of soju.

One bite.

One sip.

And somehow, the day feels a little lighter.

Maybe that is one of the reasons Koreans love Samgyeopsal so much.

Samgyeopsal is more than just Korean barbecue.

It is a way for people to come together,

to celebrate,

to talk about a difficult day,

to laugh,

and sometimes, simply to comfort one another.

And at the end of the day,

a big Ssam and a glass of soju can be enough to let go of the day’s troubles and give us a little strength to face tomorrow.

What food gives you the strength to face tomorrow?

 

K-Food Story
Stories behind Korean food by Somang

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bibimbap I Grew Up With

  Bibimbap Was Never a Special Dish to Me When I think of Bibimbap , I don't picture a beautifully arranged bowl filled with colorful vegetables. The first thing that comes to my mind is a big stainless steel mixing bowl. When I was a child, we didn't have a dining table. Like most Korean families back then, we sat on the floor around a small round table for every meal. Now that I'm used to eating at a table, sitting cross-legged for long feels uncomfortable. But in those days, it was simply how everyone ate. Whenever Doenjang-jjigae was served for dinner, my father would quietly bring out the big mixing bowl. Looking back, it almost felt like an unspoken family tradition. He would scoop in some rice, add a little Doenjang-jjigae, toss in whatever was already on the table—usually Yeolmu-kimchi or shredded radish. And the ending was always the same. Gochujang. Sesame oil. That is the Bibimbap I remember. When people think of Bibimbap today, they ...

The Hidden Story Behind Bibimbap : Could Today's Bibimbap Have Begun on the Jesa Table?

  Could Today's Bibimbap Have Begun on the Jesa Table? When people think of Bibimbap today, they usually picture a beautiful bowl filled with colorful vegetables, beef, and a perfectly placed egg. But whenever I see that image, one thought always comes to my mind. Could the Bibimbap we know today have begun on the Jesa table? Of course, this is only my personal thought. Let me tell you why I feel that way.   My father was the second son in his family, but our family still held Jesa, which was somewhat unusual. Traditionally in Korea, Jesa is usually hosted by the eldest son. Jesa is a traditional ceremony in which families prepare food, gather together, and pay their respects to their ancestors. Today, many families keep it much more simply, and some no longer practice it at all. But when I was growing up, Jesa was one of the biggest family events of the year. Ironically, while it was a lot of hard work for the adults, it felt like a festival for...

Why Do Koreans Crave Jeon When It Rains?

Why Do Koreans Crave Jeon When It Rains? Before I answer that question, there's something you should know. Jeon is my soul food. Whenever my family held a Jesa , many different kinds of Jeon would be prepared all at once. To me, those days felt like an all-you-can-eat Jeon buffet. The fun of choosing? Not really. I just ate all of them. Have you ever heard of Jeon ? Jeon is a Korean dish made by coating ingredients in batter and pan-frying them in oil. Potatoes become Jeon. Kimchi becomes Jeon. Cabbage becomes Jeon. Fish becomes Jeon. Meat becomes Jeon. Sometimes Jeon reminds me of pizza. Pizza can have hundreds of different variations depending on what you put on the dough. Jeon is the same. Change just one ingredient, and it becomes a completely new dish. That's why I think Jeon is one of the most versatile dishes in Korean cuisine. Oh, and there's one more detail. Jeon is often enjoyed with a simple dipping sauce made with ...