Makgeolli:
More Than Just a Drink
When Koreans
eat Jeon, they naturally think of Makgeolli.
And when we
see Makgeolli, we think of Jeon.
Especially on
a rainy day, many Koreans suddenly feel like going to a Jeon restaurant and
having a glass of Makgeolli.
Almost like
Pavlov's dog. 😊
But for me,
Makgeolli is more than just a drink that goes well with Jeon.
When I think
of Makgeolli, one particular scene from my childhood comes back to me.
Makgeolli is a
traditional Korean alcoholic drink made by fermenting rice with Nuruk, a
traditional Korean fermentation starter.
I spent my childhood in what you might call the middle of
nowhere.
I grew up surrounded by rice fields and farmland, and
looking back now, those ordinary days have become some of my most special
memories.
My father would sometimes say to me,
“Go get some
Makgeolli.”
He didn't say, “Go buy some.”
He said, “Go get some.”
Back then, that meant taking our yellow kettle to the local
brewery and having it filled with fresh Makgeolli.
Then I would carefully carry it all the way home.
On the way there, I would check my pocket several times to
make sure I hadn't lost the money.
On the way back, I was so careful not to spill the
Makgeolli.
Looking back, it was just a simple errand.
But that scene still remains in my memory like a little
snapshot from my childhood.
| A warm watercolor painting of a young boy walking along a path through golden rice fields, carrying a traditional yellow Makgeolli kettle. |
When I got home, my mother would sometimes add a little
sugar to the Makgeolli for me.
I was only about eight
or nine years old, so I don't think I really understood alcohol the way I do
now.
Makgeolli with sugar tasted so good.
Maybe part of the excitement was knowing that after running
the errand, I would get a little treat for myself, too.
Thinking about it now, I sometimes wonder,
“It
was alcohol after all. Why did they give it to a child?”
But where I grew up, it wasn't considered particularly
unusual.
After moving to Seoul, whenever I tell my friends this
story, they are always shocked.
“You drank Makgeolli as a child?”
That's when I realized something.
The ordinary scenes of my childhood could be completely
unfamiliar to someone else.
In the countryside, people often took a break around
lunchtime while working in the fields.
It was called Saecham—a simple meal or snack
prepared for farmers to eat during a break from their work.
The owner of the rice field would prepare something simple,
often noodles or other easy-to-eat food.
And there was one thing that almost always came along with
the food.
Makgeolli in a kettle.
Farmers would sit down for a short break, eat some food,
and drink Makgeolli after working in the fields.
Looking back, Makgeolli wasn't simply a drink.
It was part of everyday life in the countryside.
That's why when I think of Makgeolli, I don't think of
alcohol first.
I think of rice fields.
Farmland.
Saecham.
And that little yellow
kettle.
Whenever I see the
makgeolli bowl in this photo, I’m reminded of the adults pouring Makgeolli into
their cups and gently swirling it with their pinky
finger before taking a sip.
Makgeolli
is a type of Takju, a traditional Korean rice wine that is cloudy because it
contains naturally fermented rice sediment.
Some of that sediment settles at the bottom of the
container, so it is usually mixed back in before drinking.
Mixing it well brings the
sediment back into the drink, making the flavor richer and giving makgeolli its
familiar milky color. Even today, I still give the bottle a good shake before
drinking Makgeolli.
I feel lucky to have these memories of Makgeolli,
especially compared with friends who grew up only in the city.
As the years passed, the local breweries in places like my
hometown gradually disappeared.
Today, you can easily buy Makgeolli at supermarkets and
convenience stores.
Instead of the old yellow kettles, you'll find Makgeolli
displayed in bottles.
| Various brands of fresh Makgeolli bottles densely packed in a supermarket refrigerator. |
And there are so many different kinds now.
Some are more carbonated.
Some are sweeter.
There are even
fruit-flavored Makgeolli made to appeal to younger consumers.
The Makgeolli I knew as a child may have tasted slightly
different from brewery to brewery, but there certainly weren't as many
varieties as there are today.
Sometimes I wonder:
Were
my father's and grandfather's generations the real Makgeolli generation?
For them, Makgeolli probably wasn't a special drink.
It was simply something naturally shared with farm work, Saecham,
and time spent with friends and neighbors.
Today's Makgeolli, on the other hand, continues to change.
New flavors and
different styles are being created to introduce Makgeolli to a wider range of
consumers.
I find it interesting that Makgeolli is an old traditional
Korean drink, yet it continues to take on new forms.
Makgeolli is made by fermenting rice with Nuruk, and it
contains live microorganisms, including lactic acid bacteria.
So sometimes, when I'm drinking Makgeolli, I joke,
“I'm
not drinking alcohol. I'm just getting my probiotics.”
Of course... I'm only joking.
I have so many
memories of Makgeolli, but honestly, it's not my favorite drink.
I have another number one.
Soju.
What does Soju mean to Koreans?
Why do Koreans drink so much Soju?
And what kind of place does Soju have in Korean life?
I'll tell you that story in my next post.
K-Food
Story
Stories
behind Korean food by Somang
Read more
Comments
Post a Comment